A Pilot Eco-Lodge in Helambu
Er. Ishan Sakumi
Mr. Gopal Lama, local entrepreneur in Sermanthang, Helambu Gaunpalika, envisioned establishing series of environment friendly lodges in Helambu Trek. He imagined of construction using eco-friendly alternative materials keeping the vernacular architecture of Helambu.
SW Nepal is working in Helambu Region on “Climate Trek Nepal” project to support local lodge owners to reinstate structures damaged by earthquake and integrate eco-friendly energy, water and compost measures. In this process, SW Nepal met Mr. Lama with his vision and partnered him to build his dream lodge in Sermantang.
Silent features of eco-lodge
- RCC frame with 2 and half storey, designed as per NBC to ensure seismic resilient
- Infill walls with Hempcrete (chopped hemp stalks and lime as binding material) provides excellent thermal performance
- Double glazed window to increase thermal insulation and energy efficiency
- 5kW solar PV system to power building, LED and appliances with A+ energy ratings for efficient power consumption
- Solar hot water panel for hot water facility
- Smokeless/Improved wood stoke with chimney at the centre of dining to provide heat using conventional method.
- Degradable wastes will be composted to fertilizer and will be used in Kitchen
- Use of natural soap, detergent and cleaners, thus produced grey water will be stored and used for kitchen irrigation
- Black water from toilets will be treated before use