SWN working with the Local Governments to prepare them well for disasters: Supporting in developing Disaster Preparedness and Response Plan (DPRP)
S.W. Nepal Pvt. Ltd. (Scott Wilson Nepal/SWN), under the EU Humanitarian Aid, prioritized Local Governments (LGs) from Sindhupalchowk (Bharhabise Municplaity and Bhotekoshi Rural Municipality) and Dolakha (Bigu Rural Municipality and Tamakoshi Rural Municipality) districts for Pratibadhha project interventions. These LGs in the two districts were severely affected by the earthquake of 2015. Likewise, floods, landslides, lightning, road accidents, and drought are other disasters these areas are experiencing. With the joint efforts of consortium partners, SW Nepal is coordinating, collaborating, and strengthening LGs to prepare a Disaster Preparedness and Response Plan (DPRP) to minimize the threats posed by these disasters.
The prepared DPRP will have the following features;
- A document including the thematic/cluster wise priority for DRR preparedness activities
- The document clearly outlines the roles and responsibilities of each cluster/thematic group contributing to avoiding confusion and coordinated disaster response
- Time-bound actions- providing a clear guideline to each cluster on time-specific actions during preparedness and response
- Has mentioned the members and contact details in the respective cluster to ensure availability of appropriate organizations for response
- Clearly outlines the gaps and capacity of each cluster for the response. Therefore, the local government can coordinate effectively for complementary actions from other organizations
In order to initiate the DPRP formulation process, the following activities were carried out;
- Pratibaddha project’s DRR Expert and team carried out the consultative meeting with Local Government (LG) Committees on 27th and 29th September to orient the LDMC about the process of DPRP formulation and the steps the respective LGs should undertake to formulate the DPRP. During the meeting, the SWN team supported the Local Disaster Management Committee (LDMC) technically to form the technical working group and cluster sub-committees to facilitate the DPRP preparation process. The LDMC of Bhotekoshi GP and Bahrabise NP initiated the DPRP process by forming the technical working group. The LDMC also formed eight sub-committees and took the decision to have ward disaster management committees (WDMC) under the leadership of ward chair-person in each ward. Similarly, LDMC of Bigu Rural Municipality has agreed to begin the process of DPRP by forming the aforementioned committees by the end of October.
- SWN team had an in-depth consultation with the Pratibaddha DRR officers and discoursed on the DPRP formulation process and their roles and responsibilities on DPRP formulation.
Location map of the respective LGs of the Pratibaddha Project: Map Source-Pratibaddha Project Document
DRR focal person Bharabise Municipality expressed her ideas during the LDMC meeting. Photo Source: SW Nepal