Apply before 20 November 2022
TERMS OF REFERENCE
PROJECT OFFICER (NATURE-BASED SOLUTIONS (NBS)/BIO-ENGINEERING)
Position: Project Officer (Nature-based Solutions/Bio-engineering)
Working Days: 5 days a week (Monday – Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.)
Contract: Long-term with a gradual upgrade in position and remuneration
Probation Period: 2 months’ probation period
Location: Panipokhari, Maharajgunj, Kathmandu (Central Office). See www.swnepal.com.np for the location.
Reporting to: Green Infrastructure Manager
The purpose of this position is to engage with the SWN teams to develop nature-based solutions as well as green skills and capacities for local road building process. This includes, among others, imparting at the local government levels the awareness and skills to their engineering teams on how these tools can help to adapt and mitigate the risks of landslides using nature-based solutions (e.g. bio-engineering works, water ponds and storage systems, and other indigenous local technologies, etc.). Additionally, the Project Officer will:
- Support the SWN team in research and development of good practices on landslides hazards and risks; assess the risks to formulate the appropriate plans, and strategies; and adopt necessary mitigation measures at the local government level
- Support project and municipal infrastructure development teams to apply nature-based solutions in municipal landslide mitigation or roadside bio-engineering slope stabilization applications.
- Support SWN in its NbS and bioengineering projects in Nepal and other countries.
Possible Specific Activities
- To support the SWN Project Manager with the skills in landslide risk assessment and adoption of mitigation measures while planning, preparing, and carrying out fieldwork on ECHO funded Pratibaddha-II project (‘Together for Disaster Preparedness and Early Action in Landslide Affected Hill Areas of Nepal’)
- To provide technical skills to develop SOPs for sub-categorization of CAT-II households and the implementation of mitigation measures
- To prepare and/or support the SWN team in developing necessary documents for capacity development of the municipal engineering team to subcategorize landslide risk and adopt appropriate bio-engineering mitigation measures
- To act as an interface between technical experts (consultants) and the SWN Project Manager as necessary;
- To provide regular backstopping on project-related activities, research, and carrying out field visits;
- To support the SWN team administrative and management support to facilitate field activities;
- To support the SWN team in project-related data collection and documentation;
- To support the district team with technical skills to reduce landslide risks while delivering field activities.
Education and Professional Experiences
- Master’s degree in geotechnical, engineering geology or relevant academic field with bioengineering as the optional subject or thesis/project work
- At least one year of professional experience after Master’s degree
Core Competencies and Technical/ Functional Expertise.
- Good understanding of Nepal’s DRRM Governance, bio-engineering tools and other Nature-based Solutions
- Excellent communicator, with strong report-writing skills in English
- Competency in Microsoft applications including Arc GIS, Word, Excel, and computer-aided designing.
- Ability to undertake field visits in remote locations.
- Good understanding of the Nepali and international development sector
- Available for an interview, week commencing 1st November 2022 (video conference if necessary)
SWN offers a dynamic and exciting work environment and attractive staff benefits, including flexible working hours.
If you are an action-orientated and astute individual who would like to join our team, to support a dynamic and growing business, please apply by sending your CV indicating your current address in Kathmandu valley no later than 20th November 2022 at email@example.com.
*Covering letter NOT required at this stage*
We give priority to candidates who live within a comfortable commuting distance from the SWN office in Maharjgunj/Panipokhari, Kathmandu