Apply before 10 November 2023
Terms of Reference
Please read the TOR carefully before applying to ensure that it matches your experience and background. Applications from individuals who do not meet the requirements will not be considered.
Position: Research Associate (Climate Resilience, Nature-based Solutions (NbS)/Bio-engineering, Green Infrastructure)
Remuneration: An attractive package reflecting competencies and experience
Working Days: 5 days a week (Monday – Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.)
Contract: Long-term (following a 2-month probationary period)
Location: Panipokhari, Maharajgunj, Kathmandu (Central Office). See www.swnepal.com.np for location.
Reporting to: Green Infrastructure Manager and CEO
The purpose of this position is to engage with the SWN teams to develop climate-resilient, nature-based green skills, and capacities relating to road and other local and urban infrastructure-building processes. This includes, among others, imparting at different government levels, key stakeholders, and vulnerable communities awareness and skills on how these tools can help to adapt and mitigate the risks (e.g., landslides, flash floods, and others) using NbS (e.g., bio-engineering, water ponds and storage systems, and other indigenous local technologies, etc.).
Additionally, the research associate will:
- Develop knowledge and research on climate resilience, green infrastructures, nature-based green skills, and tools
- Support SWN in its climate resilience, NbS, and bioengineering projects inside and outside Nepal
- Support the SWN team in the research and development of good practices on hazards, vulnerability, and risks, assess the risks to formulate the appropriate plans and strategies, and adopt necessary mitigation measures at the community and local government level
- Support in relevant engineering and other projects carried out by the firm.
Specific roles and responsibilities:
- To carry out research and produce knowledge products on climate change adaptation and mitigation, green infrastructure, NbS, and bioengineering;
- To prepare and support SWN team in developing necessary documents (including audio, video, and infographics) for awareness building and capacity development for vulnerable communities and the municipal technical team to understand the risk (e.g., landslides, flash floods, etc.) and adopt the appropriate adaptation measures using green infrastructures, nature-based solutions or bio-engineering mitigation measures;
- To support the SWN Project Managers with the skills in risk assessment and the adoption of mitigation measures while planning, preparing, and carrying out the fieldwork;
- To act as an interface between technical experts (consultants) and the SWN Project Manager as necessary;
- To support the SWN project team in creating evidence by documenting the risks and adopting mitigation measures, e.g., nature-based solutions/bioengineering, green infrastructures;
- To provide regular backstopping on project-related activities, research, and field visits.
Education and Professional Experiences
- Master’s degree in environmental engineering, civil engineering, geotechnical/geology, or a relevant academic field with nature-based solutions/bioengineering as an optional subject or thesis/project work.
- At least two years of professional experience after a Master’s level degree or at least four years of relevant professional experience after a Bachelor’s level degree
- Proficient in using GIS software
- Possess sound knowledge of bio-engineering and other nature-based solution
- Good knowledge and experience in assessing hazards, vulnerability, and risk
- Good understanding of the Nepali and international development sector
- Available for an interview, starting October 12, 2023.
SWN offers a dynamic and exciting work environment and attractive staff benefits, including flexible working hours.
If you are an action-oriented and astute individual who would like to join our team to support a dynamic and growing business, please apply by emailing your CV indicating your current living / will live address in Kathmandu no later than 10 November 2023, at email@example.com.
**A cover letter and other certificates are NOT required at this stage.**
We give priority to candidates who live within a comfortable commuting distance from the SWN office in Maharjgunj/Panipokhari, Kathmandu
We encourage potential applicants to visit www.swnepal.com.np for more details on our team, location, and services.