Climate Adaptation and Resilience South Asia (CARE) for South Asia
TRL (The Future of Transport), UK/ ADPC – Asian Disaster Preparedness Center
January 2023 to December 2023
Asian Development Preparedness Center (ADPC) and Regional Integrated Multi-Hazard Early Warning Systems (RIMES), with support from the World Bank, are jointly implementing a five-year (2020-2025) regional project namely ‘Climate Adaptation and Resilience (CARE) for South Asia’. The project supports the region in building resilience to climate change by improving the availability of regional data and knowledge, developing guidelines, tools, and capacities, and promoting climate-resilient decisions, policies, and investments across key sectors.
OBJECTIVES OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The main objective of this project is to contribute to an enabling environment for climate resilience transport (road and bridges) guidelines for South Asia and provide detailed recommendations for upgrading road design standards in Bangladesh and Nepal. The guidelines will focus on design of new infrastructure as well as the retrofitting, maintenance and rehabilitation (including nature-based solutions for slope protection and stabilization, innovative materials) of existing infrastructure to make them climate resilient.
KEY ACTIVITIES AND SERVICE PROVIDED BY SWN
SWN undertakes the following activities:
- Develop guidelines for Nature-based Solutions (NbS) in Nepal for application in road infrastructures.
- Contribute to revision of 5 key policy documents and standards: Nepal Road Standard 2067 and Guidelines on Hydrologic and Hydraulic Analysis and River Training Works for Bridge Design
- Identify the standard construction materials and techniques adopted for roads and bridges in Nepal
- Support in regional workshops to evaluate and refine guidelines in Nepal
OUTPUTS AND LEARNINGS
Some outputs and learnings of the project are as follows:
- Regional Nature-based Solutions (NbS) Guideline for South Asia
- Nepal Technical Review (TR) Reports
- Nepal TR Report 2070
- Nepal TR Report Rural Roads 2071
- Nepal TR report Hydro
- Nepal TR Report Bridges 2067
- Nepal NbS guideline applications in 3 pilot landslide mitigation works