The world bank group
March 2020 to 23rd May 2020
Selected local bodies in Nuwakot, Dhading, Gorkha, Kavrepalanchock, Sindhuli Districts
The World Bank in Nepal is supporting government of Nepal to improve long-term disaster resilience by supporting recovery and resilience of education infrastructures. This if reflected through two projects that WB supports: Structural Integrity and Damage Assessment (SIDA) and Local Government School Management (LGSMP). Key highlights of these projects are:
- Comprehensive survey of damage of school buildings in 14 most affected districts
- Information collection on site conditions, physical conditions of the education facility, demography, and recommendations on reconstruction, retrofit or repair of the building along with the pictures
- Bespoke App developed for the survey. The metadata is processed to produce an interactive infographic on a web portal
- The access to the web portal is given to Local Governments for use in planning, budgeting and monitoring of the schools
These projects provided technical assistance to the Government of Nepal in 14 most earthquake affected districts namely: Dolakha, Dhading, Nuwakot, Rasuwa, Gorkha, Kathmandu, Bhaktapur, Lalitpur, Kavrepalanchowk, Sindhupalchowk, Makawanpur, Sindhuli, Ramechhap and Okhaldhunga.
Objective of the assignment
The World Bank has assigned SWN to document the good practices and lessons learnt from implementation of SIDA and LGSMP in selected 5 districts. The documentation of findings is designed to support World Bank in scaling or carrying out similar projects elsewhere in Nepal or abroad.
Key activities and services to be provided by SW Nepal
The assignment involves independent assessment of two projects and document lessons learnt offer recommendations based on review in selected local bodies of 5 districts. In undertaking the above assignment, SWN provides the following services:
- Collect information on the use and usefulness to the government of the app and the portal
- Carryout consultations with government at different levels with structured statement, questionnaire to assess the usefulness, applicability to the stakeholder
- Carryout analysis and validation of the information collected
- Collect and document case stories, reality check assessment on lesson learned and good practices
- Prepare a high-quality report with pragmatic recommendation for similar future projects
- Detailed assessment of achievements, strengths, weaknesses and lessons learned of the two projects.
- Recommendations on areas of improvement that could help in scale-up or carryout similar assignment.