People in Need (PIN)/DFID Nepal
February, 2019 – June, 2020
40 resettlement sites under 14 Earthquake affected districts
The 2015 earthquake precipitated a wave of internal displacement and led to a major humanitarian crisis unparalleled in Nepal’s modern history. Concurrently, the earthquake triggered numerous landslides that claimed thousands of lives and substantially weakened the geological foundations of slopes across Nepal’s mountainous regions.
The Durable Solutions-II is a DFID-funded program that supports the NRA by facilitating the implementation of resettlement program to relocate the displaced households in safer areas. For the implementation of the project, SW Nepal is a key member of the consortium led by People in Need (PIN) contracted by DFID.
Objectives of the assignment
The major objectives of this assignment were:
- To carryout technical site planning support and design a detailed technical site plan for 40 selected locations to improve the viability and resilience of sites.
- To carryout shelter reconstruction support and provide standardized shelter support throughout the full construction cycle in selected sites.
Key Activities and Services Provided by SW Nepal
SWN team of experts includes DRR expert, GESI experts, WASH expert, Natural Resource Management expert, Sociologist, Civil Engineer, Architect and Urban Planner for this assignment. The team carried out following activities to meet the project deliverables:
- Conduct detailed topographic survey of resettlement area including expert visits to access feasibility of integrated settlement.
- Prepare detailed site plan for integrated resettlement of displaced households as per NRA Integrated Settlement Provision 2075. The site plans include detailed engineering designs and drawings of shelters, access infrastructures with adequate DRR, livelihood and resource management measures.
- Coordination with beneficiaries, Local Government, NRA and other stakeholders to endorse and implement ISD.
- Provide adequate engineering support during shelter reconstruction process within integrated settlement.
SW Nepal delivers comprehensive site plan report for 40 settlements along with shelter reconstruction support to households in those sites.