Gender and Social Inclusion (GESI) Study in Energy Sector
SNV (Netherlands Development Organization)
October – November, 2018
Sudur Paschim Province (Kailali, Doti, Baitadi, Bajhang)
The Renewable Energy for Rural Areas (RERA) is a joint initiative of the Government of Nepal (GoN) and the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) to support small scale renewable energy sector. The programme is jointly implemented by the Alternative Energy Promotion Centre (AEPC) and GIZ where SNV is assigned by GIZ for program implementation support.
RERA supports activities in Sudur Paschim Province to strengthen capacity of the local governments and stakeholders in energy sector. Mainstreaming Gender Equality and Social Inclusion (GESI) in energy sector is one of the major components of RERA. SW Nepal is assigned to carry out a GESI study to supplement the energy baseline survey in order to determine GESI status in the selected municipalities, develop solutions/ approaches tailor-made to the needs of poor, women and disadvantaged groups, and to develop further strategies for the RERA programme.
Objectives of The Assignment
The major objectives of this assignment were:
- To identify access to energy and specific energy needs for poor, women and DAGs.
- To identify challenges and barriers for women and DAGs in relation to access to energy, decision making process, access to finance, ownerships, and benefits from using RE technologies.
- To assess the involvement of women & DAG in RE entrepreneurship
- To recommend solutions and appropriate measures to address the challenges and barriers noted above.
Key Activities and Services Provided by SW Nepal
SW Nepal carried out the following activities to meet the assignment’s objectives.
- Detailed review of related literature
- In-depth consultation with target groups in field including Gaunpalika chairpersons, GESI focal person, community leader of DAGs and women, Civil Society members, Financial Institutions etc.
- Designed and carried out survey using qualitative data collection tools
SW Nepal delivered a comprehensive GESI report with baseline findings identifying energy needs specific to poor, women and DAGs and recommended tailored solutions and appropriate measures to ensure maximization of benefit for the programme beneficiaries.