WI-HER, LLC (Women Influencing Health, Education, and Rule of Law)
Dec 2020 to April 2021
Dang, Banke and Kapilvastu
Nepal’s population is at risk for at least one neglected tropical disease (NTD). The country is endemic for two NTDs targeted by USAID’s Act to End Neglected Tropical Diseases | East program: lymphatic filariasis (LF) and soil-transmitted helminth infections. Act | East supports NTD programs to reach WHO NTD control and elimination goals through proven, cost-effective public health interventions. The Act to End NTDs | East Program also provides critical support countries in their journey to self-reliance, helping them to create sustainable programming for NTD control within robust and resilient health systems.
The programme is being implemented in 15 districts of Nepal by RTI International, with a consortium of partners including The Carter Center; Fred Hollows Foundation; IMA World Health; Light for the World; Results for Development (R4D); Save the Children; Sightsavers; and WI-HER.
Objectives of the assignment
The program continues USAID’s focus on the elimination of LF from the country, including support for government-led mass drug administration campaigns, impact surveys, and dossier development.
SW Nepal (SWN) is assigned by WI-HER to provide consulting service for the survey, consultations and to undertake GESI analysis in the three districts of Lumbini Province.
Key activities and services by SWN
SWN will conduct 42 FGDs and KIIs in total for gender analysis with Drug Distributors, health workers, marginalized community members, persons with disabilities (PWD) & families, regional leaders and those not taking Mass Drug Administration (MDA) in Dang, Banke and Kapilbastu Districts.
The assignment shall require management of field survey works throughout the three phases of the GESI analysis described in the TOR. The field-based activities include:
- Tools translation in Nepali
- Conduct orientation to enumerators
- Conduct FGD and KII in targeted districts
- Ensure that all deliverables are created, meet WI-HER quality standards, and are submitted within the agreed-upon deadlines. The deliverables include: Workplan, Draft Report, and Final Report.
- Transcribing and translation of the qualitative surveys
Outputs of the assignment
- The KII and FGD will be used more and more to obtain information from groups of individuals for evidence-based program interventions.
- The Gender Equity and Social Inclusion (GESI) Analysis will provide baseline for Act to End Neglected Tropical Diseases | East program in targeted districts.
GESI, Qualitative Survey, Baseline Study, Public Health, Neglected Tropical Disease (NTD)