Poverty Environment Initiative (PEI) Programme Framework Preparation
July 2009 to November 2009
PEI is an integrated effort of UNDP and UNEP which focuses on promoting change in institutions, policies, programmes and in-vestments by mainstreaming poverty and environmental issues into national plans, sec-toral strategies, environmental policies, eco-nomic decision making and sub-national planning. The design of PEI for Nepal recog-nizes the growing link between environment and poverty that impact the health, livelihoods and vulnerability of poor people in Nepal.
This project was commissioned primarily to support the UNDP-UNEP in the design of the Preparatory Phase Framework that included an approach to work with the national and local government institutions, grassroot or-ganizations and wider rural communities who actually interact with the nature. The devel-oped framework has been supplemented with a work plan and budgetary framework to support PEI activities.
Services provided by SW Nepal
In undertaking this project, SW Nepal carried out the following activities:
- Reviewed policies, programmes and en-vironmental issues to be addressed by PEI.
- Reviewed RRFs and AWPs of 2009 pro-jects/programmes including LGCDP, REDP, MEDEP, WTLCP, CSUWN, NAPA
- Organized workshops and stakeholder meetings (NPC, MLD, LGCDP, ICIMOD etc.).
- Awareness creation, capacity and part-nership building of local and national bodies.
- Field visits to DDCs and VDCs.
- Prepared project concept report, indica-tive framework document, annual work-plan, draft and final programme frame-work of PEI.
The outcome of the assignment was exten-sive deliberations on how PEI can link with LGCDP and with National Planning Commis-sion to enable impacts and results achieved through good governance programmes such as LGCDP to influence policy making at the NPC level. The PEI is now a partner initiative working closely with LGCDP and NPC.