Neelakantha Municipality, Dhading
Nepal—Improved Disaster Risk Management Project-Tayar- goal is to strengthen the capacity of Nepal’s national and municipal institutions responsible for disaster preparedness and response. Tayar Nepal build the capacity of disaster risk management (DRM) institutions and supports eight Local Governments (Bhimeshwor, Neelakantha, Birendranagar, Dullu, Rajapur, Tulsipur, Godawari and Lamkichuha) to build DRRM capacity and develop risk-sensitive land-use plans.
Objectives of the assignment
Tayar Nepal has assigned SW Nepal to promote affordable and sustainable approaches to mitigate the impacts of lightning in Nepal.
The specific objectives of this assignment are:
- Pilot the use of technologies that can help reduce exposure to lightning
- Install lightning protection system in municipal buildings in Neelakantha Municipality
- Improve compliance with National Building Code Standards related to earthing and lightning mitigation.
- Increase awareness of lightning risk and increase demand for lightning mitigation technologies.
Key activities and services by SWN
SWN carries out the following activities to meet stated objectives:
- Procure and install seven appropriate lightning/earthing technologies
- Provide training on the use, marketing and sales of lightening technologies
- Identify opportunities to develop new or expand existing micro-enterprises to supply solutions to reduce the risk of lightning and identify suitable MSMEs in the municipality
- Provide technical training on the use, installation and maintenance of lightning risk reduction technology,
- Raise awareness of lightning strikes, risk from lightning and approaches to minimize risk
- Provide enterprise development training to selected organizations to assist market, produce and/or install lightning reduction technologies
Outputs of the assignment
The assignment envisages to achieving the following outputs at the end of the assignment period:
- At least thirty six people will be trained on the importance and marketing of lightning protection technologies, thirteen people will be trained on the use/installation and maintenance of lightning risk reduction technology and fourteen people will be trained on business planning, organization and management, business continuity planning, and business growth for MSMEs.
- At least seven public building of Neelakantha Municipality will mitigate lightening risk.
Preparedness, Disaster Risk Reduction and Management, Resilience, National Building Code, Lightning, Lightning Protection System, Enterprises, Risk Sensitive Land Use Plans, Municipalities