Nepal Red Cross Society partnering with Swiss Red Cross
17th July 2021- 31st July 2021
Birendranagar Municipality, Surkhet District
The Disaster Preparedness and Risk Program (DPRP) 2075 has highlighted the Surkhet district as highly vulnerable to landslide risk due to its weak geological formation and rugged topography. The hazards include flood, earthquake, fire, epidemic, drought, thunderbolt, road accident, windstorm hailstorm and cold wave. The finding and recommendation of the baseline study carried out in Birendranagar Municipality showed that communities have poor knowledge of flood and early warning system. In this context Nepal Red Cross Society (NRCS) is undertaking Knowledge Attitude/Behavior Practice (KAP) study to identify the level of knowledge and practice to Early Warning System living in high risk area after several years of its implementation of the project.
Objectives of the assignment
Nepal Red Cross Society implementing Urban Disaster Risk Management project project-Surkhet partnership with Swiss Red Cross(SRC) has assigned Scott Wilson Nepal to undertake the study on “ People’s knowledge and practice to early warning system (EWS) at Birendranagar Municipality of Surkhet district “. The overall objective of the assignment is to identify the level of Knowledge and Practices relating to Early Warning Systems in high-risk areas of ward no. 2, 3,4,9,10 and 12 Birendranagar Municipality after the execution of project intervention.
The specific objectives of the study are to;
- To measure the end line value of Knowledge and Practice Relating to flood Early warning system.
- To get the situation of established flood early warning system of Birendranagar Surkhet via interaction with the concern stakeholders and observe the installed equipment/ materials.
- To conduct a household survey of 141 households of the targeted ward of 2,3,4,9, 10 and 12 of Birendranagar Municipality.
Key activities and services by SWN
SWN applies both quantitative and qualitative study tools in undertaking the assignment involving the following activities:
- Prepare an assessment plan which includes the sampling, development assessment tools (Questionnaire, FGD, KII).
- Review the technical feasibility and KAP study of flood EWS at Birendranagar Municipality of Surkhet District.
- Finalize the required tools for EWS KAP in close coordination with project partners as well as staff team.
- Provide training and orientation to enumerators on ODK for quantitative data collection and recruiting them.
- Prepare and shared a final report using a mutually agreed format to Department of NRCS and project partners.
Outputs of the assignment
SWN study will identify the level of knowledge and practices to EWS of local people residing in high risk area to feed to the learnings by the project team.
Early warning system, Knowledge Attitude and Practice, urban flood, Urban Disaster Risk Management, Risk, Hazard.