Technical Oversight of School Construction
Concern Worldwide Nepal
February to June 2018
Gorkha, Dhading, Sindhuli and Dolakha
The 2015 Gorkha earthquake was disastrous which claimed a lot of lives and set back Nepal’s development. During the quake, 24,000 classrooms and 5000 schools in 14 most affected districts were dilapidated (Ministry of Education). Concern Worldwide is involved in restoring such education facilities in Gorkha and aims to provide stability in the wake of such a traumatic disaster for the youngest and most vulnerable.
The objective of this assignment is for engineering services, primarily to carry out technical review, construction supervision and quality assurance of specific schools, community buildings, wash facilities and slope stabilization works. Concerned Worldwide engaged SW Nepal to provide required engineering service for the aforementioned works.
Services Provided by SW Nepal
SW Nepal provides full range of engineering services in this project. The scope of works includes:
- Assess the quality of ongoing construction work and recommend immediate mitigation measures for construction errors
- Undertake overall supervision and technical assistance of the construction works
- Ensure construction materials and works are as per design and specification
- Provide onsite mason orientation to local workers in hands on manner
- Ensure partners meet construction project completion deadline
- Review the school designs and provide suggestion to comply requirements for government approval
- Certify the construction works as per agreed standards