Nepal Health Sector Support Programme (NHSSP)
Okhaldhunga, Saptari, Kavrepalanchok, Gorkha, Rupandehi and Surkhet
The Ministry of Health (MoH) initiated the Nepal Health Sector Support Programme Phase III (NHSSPP3) with the intention of assisting MoH in building a resilient health system in the country. The programme funded by the UK Department for International Development (DFID), has five work streams; health policy and planning, procurement and public financial management, service delivery, evidence and accountability, and health infrastructure.
As part of the health infrastructure work stream, in order to enhance capacity to deliver high quality of health infrastructure and services, two training sessions were carried out for the technical personnel at DUDBC and MoH. The two technical development trainings conducted were:
- Orientation Training on “Retrofitting and Tender Process”
- Training on “Multi-Hazard Resilient Health Infrastructure Planning, Designing and Implementation”
Objective of the Assignment
SW Nepal was given the task of conducting an impact evaluation of the training sessions. The specific objectives of the evaluation were:
- to measure the change in knowledge and capacities of the participants as a result of the training events, and
- to assess use, implementation and dissemination of the contents of the training by the participants
SW Nepal carried out the following activities to meet the assignment’s objectives.
- Preparation of impact evaluation tools
- Data collection and analysis
- Preparation of Impact Evaluation Report
Two separate questionnaires for the different participants of the two training events were developed. In addition, the evaluation team also met with senior officers of DUDBC and conducted in-depth interviews.
Based upon the findings of the evaluation a short evaluation report was prepared and submitted to NHSSP. The report contained the following major sections:
i) Orientation on Retrofitting Works
ii) Public Procurement for Retrofitting Works
iii) Health Infrastructure Guidelines and Standards
iv) Project Management Information System (PMIS)