The World Bank, Nepal
May 2020 – June 2020
Gorkha, Makwanpur, Rasuwa and Kavrepalanchowk Districts
The World Bank in Nepal supports Nepal Reconstruction Authority (NRA) for the earthquake housing reconstruction project (EHRP) – Additional Financing and Multi Donor Trust Fund. The Project objective was to restore earthquake affected houses with multi-hazard resistant core housing units in targeted areas and to enhance the government’s ability to improve long-term disaster resilience.
The project provided financial and technical assistance to the Government of Nepal for rural housing reconstruction.
Objectives of the assignment
Reconstruction had contributed significantly in the economy of the country, which was apparent in very good economic growth experienced by the country following the commencement of reconstruction of infrastructure affected by 2015 earthquakes. NRA’s housing reconstruction had generated economic activities and employment in a number of sectors and subsectors. Therefore, the current assignment sought to understand and estimate the extent of the economic activities generated as a result of EHRP.
It order to mitigate the limitations set by the COVID-19 related restrictions on mobility and lockdown, the assignment was designed to replace the usual field-based surveys to telephone-based survey with 900 households in 4 project districts.
Key activities and services being provided by SWN
This assignment resulted in an assessment of the economic activities generated as a result of housing reconstruction. In doing so, SWN provided the following services:
- Design and program questionnaire into a Kobo tool based data collection platform
- Train 2 other partner organizations on the use of data collection platform.
- Administer survey to 900 households in four districts via telephone using a comprehensive questionnaire.
- Clean, manage and analyze data from all three partner organizations with a total of 2700 observations.
- Prepare a comprehensive report providing insight on economic activities generated as a result of EHRP.
- Sharing of final report to relevant stakeholders.
Outputs of the assignment
- Develop a report with key dataset, findings, recommendations etc.
- Understanding and experience of undertaking remote survey assignments.
Telephone/remote survey, house reconstruction, kobo tool box, reconstruction economic activities and employment generated, Covid-19.